View Single Post
Old 07-31-2012, 02:40 PM   #16
Big Block 454

Re: 65 C10 alternator conversion w/external shunt ammeter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteVet View Post
1. Look for the horn relay here. It might be over the fuse panel also. Look for a large red and green wire and a smaller black wire in a terminal end that plugs into the relay.

Attachment 964198

2. R and F are the terminals used on alternators with the external voltage regulators. The internal alternators use 1 and 2 for the sensing and field terminals. I have seen some external reg alternators with the terminals on the side or top but usually they are on the back. I saw a 71 the other day just like that. How did they hook up the alternator when they tested it? Did they use a regulator or a feed wire to the F terminal? If they used a regulator then you will have to go to that or change the regulator inside the case to an internal one.

3. If it is internally regulated then the picture in the thread you linked will work but You should not need either the diode or a resistor since you will have a charge light or a brown resistance wire from the key switch ( if you have an ammeter) Then you just need to connect the brown wire on the engine side of the firewall to the F terminal and the red wire to the R terminal.
I'll double check that and edit if it is backwards. The normal internal regulated wires would be brown to no.1 and the red to no. 2. Notice that is how this one is wired.

Attachment 964205
Thx for posting the pics. I'll check it out.
Big Block 454 is offline   Reply With Quote