View Single Post
Old 10-06-2018, 12:40 PM   #18
BILT4ME

Re: NP205 Experts: Knowledge Wanted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydurango View Post
Asked over on the general board 2 months ago but never got this figured out.

My 72 K10 (350/350) has suddenly begun spinning the front driveshaft intermittently when in 2HI. I'll be coasting along down a hill, all's normal, hit a few small bumps, and the vibration appears to cause the case to s l o w l y begin engaging the front shaft. I can hear it, and feel it, catching just the tiniest bit, then increasing engagement.

The front axle and hubs are all good, I rebuilt them a couple years back and checked them again recently. Everything else (shift linkage, all connections, u-joints, driveshaft slip joint) looks/feels completely normal and is tight and solid externally, so I've got some sort of problem inside the dang case.

What part in the NP205 t-case is responsible for keeping the t-case locked in 2HI? Is there a detent spring or something that could have broken, allowing some selection mechanism to "float" between 2HI and 4HI even when the shift lever is solidly in 2HI?

TIA!
Something else to look at are the front locking hubs.

Our 70 GMC K2500 had a noise that would occur occasionally, and it took us a while to isolate and make repeatable.

It turned out that one of the original blue lockers on the RF hub was cracked and it allowed the RF hub to start to engage and rotate the front axle.

We ended up installing a set of new Warn hubs and problem was solved.

Might be worth checking.