View Single Post
Old 04-13-2009, 05:27 PM   #1
bsgmcc20
Im afraid of purple hangers..

396 Big Block starter? 1970? help?

http://static.summitracing.com/globa...i-356000_w.jpg

Ok, so i have this 70 gmc with a stock 396 with a automatic tranny. The starter has been chirping and today the solenoid started to spin with no flywheel engagement. So I crawled under her today to yank it out. taking off the heat shield from the starter. ( yes the battery is disconnected) and start to go after the positive cable and the ingnition wire. the cable post comes off in my hand with the bolt and nuts from the solenoid with out even using a wrench. So I have to take her off now for sure. As I get to the Staggered bolts holding her up backing them off one of the cast "ears" falls an inch from my forehead on the ground. Great this thing is in in pieces. So i take it to the "parts changers" to get a re-manned starter. And there computers are telling me that my truck only came with a 350 or 402. Nice to see there computers are up to date on motors. LOL

So I call a mobile mech. I know who shoots me to his parts guy. They tell me that most of the starters they have to fit a big block are aluminum housings and not cast. He called the "warehouse" who works on there rebuilds and says they can fix mine if i send it out.

So now that my short story is long. here are my questions.

1. Will they keep my Starter housing and just replace the cast nose housing and solenoid?

2. Is the attached picture i got from summit a high torque it looks alike to mine minus the yellow powder coat?

3. Could they substitue a high torque for a low one on me?

4. Is there any other year or make that i can use to chase down parts for my 396 out of my 1970 gmc c-20?

Thanks
bsgmcc20 is offline   Reply With Quote