Thread: Q-jet
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2018, 12:15 PM   #6
SilverMiner

Re: Q-jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilson645 View Post
I highly recommend ordering your rebuild kit and the rebuild book from Cliff Ruggles at www.cliffshighperformance.com . He is a guru of Qjets and his kits are top notch with ethynol compatible parts.
Yes, this X2!

Tsoptich83 - Cliff Ruggles kits are the only way to go if you value your peace of mind and don't mind spending a small amount more for quality. Doing a basic rebuild of a Qjet isn't rocket science and doesn't really require any special tools, but it can be a bit fiddly. If you are at all interested into diving deeper into Quadrajet tuning and optimization, buy Cliff's book and log on to his excellent highly informative forum at www.cliffshighperformance.com

The carb in your photo looks suspiciously clean, so I'd guess somebody has been into it within the past couple years if not sooner. If you don't know the history of the rig, you might want to throw a kit into it if only to confirm proper float height and correct primary rod engagement which are two items that frequently can go wrong with an improper rebuild.

But before diving into the carb, you should probably confirm that all of the vacuum hoses are in good condition and connected properly. It is surprising how much a single open vacuum port can screw things up and make the engine run horribly. Even a small leak around the base gasket can make a difference, particularly at idle. The photo indicates somebody has already stripped and bypassed the EGR and TVS systems, so really the only small vacuum line to the carb should be the one from the distributor vacuum advance. The large port exposed on the front above and to the right of the fuel inlet is intended to be plugged into an evaporative fuel canister which may or may not still exist. I can't remember if leaving that open causes many headaches, but it can't hurt to either connect it or plug it off.