View Single Post
Old 10-30-2017, 09:14 PM   #6
geezer#99

Re: Did HEI conversion - cant get truck to start - no spark at plug...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57rookie View Post
So, I will spare all the long details but I am beyond frustrated after spending two days on a simple HEI conversion.
3 brand new HEI units later I have realized that it is not the part but something off on the truck...
I have set TDC on #1 piston like 5 times. I wire my wires 18436572 in clockwise fashion. Rotor is always pointed at #1. All the text book stuff is right.
I ran a brand new 12 gauge wire from the original fuse block from one of the two pins labeled ignition infused to the 12 v terminal in the HEI distributor (keep in mind I am on my third new one now, not junk yard stuff).
Engine just turns over and never even attempts to fire, not even once.
So I pull a spark plug wire and put another plug in it and point it at the spark plug in the block.
I am getting ZERO spark on all three new distributors.
Here are my questions:
1. I have a multimeter on the new 12v ignition wire I installed to the HEI and the wire has 12.48Volts with key on.
2. I had my wife crank the truck while i measured voltage at the 12 v wire I installed and it drops to 9.7 volts while cranking.
I am at a total loss as to where to go from here. Seems like I have power to the distributor B+ connector but yet no power output from the coil to the spark plugs....
One thought is that the female connector I use has a plastic cover over it and is maybe not as tight as it could be - is this a thought to change connectors to the distributor male connection using metal only connector???????
Is 9.7 when cranking not enough yet the battery and connnector sit at 12+ volts when not cranking with the key on......
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd bet you're off 180 degrees.
Are you on tdc #1 compression or tdc #1 exhaust.
Simple test is to put #1 plug wire on #6 and wire the distributor from there.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote