View Single Post
Old 09-26-2017, 03:02 PM   #1
8man

Body metal replacement

I've got a 54 cab with a decent amount of rust, bondo and fiberglass. I know I must get rid of that stuff so I can see what I have to work with. I'm going to have to replace some panels, like the lower rear cab corners and the front lower drivers side piece for sure, and maybe some others when the bondo is gone.

I'm going to have it media blasted to "strip" the bondo, fiberglass and rust away. With that done I can see the metal I'm going to work on.

I see in some shops they have the bare metal exposed while they do the patch panel replacement. Since this is a hobby, it will be weeks before I get the work done. My concern is exposed metal for a period of time.

I've read that epoxy primer as soon as it is blasted is the way to go, but then you have to remove the epoxy primer to replace a panel, and you still end up with panel joints that are not primed.

So do I prime it, or wipe it down regularly with some rust inhibitor or just leave it bare, don't worry about it, install the patch panels and re-blast any surface rust when it's ready for paint?

I'm in Bryan Texas, not as dry as AZ, but in my shop the humidity level is pretty low, if that helps.

Thanks.
8man is offline   Reply With Quote