View Single Post
Old 03-31-2020, 11:02 PM   #4350
dsraven

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

ok, who would agree with this theory?
build vehicle from a bunch of parts of other vehicles, cut the frame weld in other partial frames, not by a ticketed welded, just hobbyist and home done stuff. then have the whole unit inspected PRIOR to going for insurance etc. of course the vehicle is labbelled as "modifyed for speed" etc if those headings apply, then the vehicle is registered and insured as whatever category it fits into and the owner would pay the insurance rate to be covered, properly, for the type of vehicle he has built. if the welding and other modifications pass the certified inspector at the certified inspection facility, it has all the lights and wipers etc, fenders if the state or province requires, proper set belts as per the laws of the country, etc etc. wouldn't that be a good thing? there have been guys on here talking about getting an old truck out of the field, dumping a big v8 engine in it over a weekend and being so excited they drove it down the road to their buddies place to show it off, WITH NO BRAKES!!!. i get it, it's exciting, but don't we also have an obligation to at least be safe on the same roads as others drive on?
on my build, it is inspected by the insurance bureau of Canada inspector who comes to my home and inspects the bill(s) of sale to say I bought the vehicle (or vehicles) and collects the original vin tags, checks reciepts for associated parts used, checks for parts that look like they are stolen etc. he attaches a new vin tag and it is classified as a vehicle built from parts. when I am done the project I take it, on a trailer, to a registered inspection facility and have an "out of province inspection" done. that is the in depth inspection but not as in depth as one for a vehicle written off and rebuilt. when it passes I take that paperwork to the provincial registries to have it put into the system. if i want to drive the vehicle then I would bring along the valid insurance. the vehicle is SAFE to drive on the roads with everybody elses' wives, kids, grandkids, school busses etc. not a bad way I guess.

thoughts?
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote