Thread: Fuel Gauge Woes
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2018, 09:53 AM   #8
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: Fuel Gauge Woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebra View Post
I tested the sender post and realized I had power on it with it unhooked (the case doesn't have power running through it). I then pulled the little white plastic piece off and replaced with 2 rubber washers and this cured my power to the sender post. I tested all 3 wires and had power on the power wire and ground on the ground wire and sender wire. Lastly, I put a pure ground wire to the sender post (leaving the power/ground wires hooked) and the gauge did nothing. I have 65 ohms across the power/sender posts and nothing on the sender to ground and power to ground. I am thinking that (highly coincidentally) during the rewire my gauge died out on me? I do not see anything incorrect about my wiring and since the needle does not move with (looking at the back) 12V to right post, ground to bottom post, and ground to left (sender) post that the gauge must not be working.
How were you checking the sender post for power? If you used your multimeter and then put the red lead to the sender and the black lead to ground you would see 12 volts because the sender is a path to ground for the fuel gauge. The white plastic piece is called the resistor for the gauge and it protects the gauge internal coil from too much current. It must be on the gauge between the two terminals.

Try putting the gauge like it was before and test the gauge by grounding the sender terminal for empty reading and removing the sender wire to see the past full reading. If you still get no movement on the needle then you may have burnt the coil wiring inside the gauge.

Name:  Copy of FuelGaugeCircuit-01.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  46.0 KB

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote