View Single Post
Old 11-02-2013, 04:07 PM   #49
DransportGarage

Re: Bob's Retirement Build - My '55 TF

Thanks phaus. You've inspired me to do an update. I've been lovin' on the frame for about 12 or 13 days. Here it is after Kirker primer, some fill with all-metal in the deep spots, and a first round of spot work...

Now in U-Pol high solids primer with an orange guide coat...

Here's a tip (but the pros will think I'm crazy). Spot filler dries pretty quickly, so before I mix the filler I go around the car with a scissors and a roll of tape, marking defects with pointers, as shown here. This allows me to find the problem areas very quickly, usually doubling the amount of spots I can fill with a mix of mud.

I have also found some cheap bondo at the local flea markets that I use for light spot fill. At $12-$14 dollars a gallon, I highly recommend this stuff for light skim & fill.

Finally, the painted frame, sporting the final truck color. I think I got a little carried away with eliminating all unused holes and the pockets that were there originally, but it is what it is...

I skipped a few steps like the other high solids primer spray with the black guide coat and a round or two of spot fill, but you get the idea.
Bob's Retirement Build - My 55 TF
Bob's 700R4 Build (how-to)

Last edited by DransportGarage; 11-02-2013 at 04:13 PM.
DransportGarage is offline   Reply With Quote