View Single Post
Old 12-06-2017, 04:37 PM   #3
inlikeflint

Re: Wheel sizes and hub spacers for '73-'87 P/U

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkin250r View Post
How much space do you need?

I've seen spacers in two styles...
I was just thinking I needing enough to cover the loss between a standard stock 3.5" on center wheel mount to the new common 5" steel so about an inch or two.

The thread tips pop though the mounting holes, but then the wheel is on the inside wheel well. I've seen about 1.25" and I am thinking that should probably do it... what I am wanting to avoid is coming out too far and hitting quarter panels.

I don't think I am worried about load capacity and strength of a wheel spacer, It hauls mostly dirt, tree limbs, lumber, pallets, maybe something oversized like a couch or piano off of Craigslist. I can't imagine that a wheel spacer would be that much of a problem bouncing things from the dump and back on surface streets. I'm more likely have problems with the load falling though the rusted bed that has been sitting for three years with debris in it, or using the existing wheels with dry rot, on them. I had some other wheels, and thought I would make a go of using them. I'm not sure why spacers wouldn't be able to handle a load. (I might google around I guess).

Thanks for your input!
inlikeflint is offline   Reply With Quote