View Single Post
Old 07-10-2018, 03:59 PM   #139
44boggers

Re: American in Austria 83 Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by RADustin View Post
It's a super cool idea. But I'm with you- I think we are going for similar quality builds. Minimum amounts of filler.

Problem I have is and this method solves- someone already drilled a bunch of holes to rip damage out. To properly weld up those holes I need access to the back of the skin.

How hard was it to align the inner and outer afterwards? Seems like I can drill 1/8" holes prior to disassembly and use clecos to line it back up if need be.
I had the same issues with previously drilled holes I needed to weld up.

The clecos idea is a good one, but I think the inner fender is lined up 99.99 percent good enough or close enough. There are certain areas of the fender you can uses as a guide to realign the fender, plus when you use a spot weld cutter it leaves the welded portion on the inner portion of the fender and the outter portion of the fender has a round hole from the spot cutter. So when you line the fenders back up the old weld fits right back in the hole and I used that as a guide and then filled in the rest of the hole with weld and it was no problem. If I have any alignment issues with the hood or so because the inner fender was not aligned perfect, it will be so slight that the hood adjustments will take care of it.

Hope all of that made sense.

Paul
44boggers is offline   Reply With Quote