View Single Post
Old 10-01-2018, 10:32 AM   #25
Travisarmenta

Re: Help...1972 350 W/HEI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyrestorerman View Post
Make sure you are grounded good....

Did you check the timing, seems like that is a hot item to check on this forum.
I will re-check that as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 Burb View Post
You said "6 Gauge wire strait to the battery. It charges with no issues." Why do you think "Obviously it has to do with the ALT right? It ran fine before hand."

If it charges fine with the new alternator, then what's the problem? What makes you think it has to be the alternator? What is the voltage showing while you are driving. The alternator not charging shouldn't affect the way the engine runs. It will run off the battery just fine.

Verify the charging system is the first to do. Hook up a volt meter to see what is actually happening.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRandy View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^
What he said 100%

If the work was done by a well known shop then it should be fine - but it isn't.

I bought my 73 from a mechanic who works at a reputable shop. When I asked why he hadn't converted to HEI he said he tried and it didn't work.

The reason it didn't work was because he used the old ignition wire with the resistor. The first thing I did was run a new ignition wire and install an HEI. Haven't had a single issue since the first start.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Parrot View Post
Did this well known shop replace the resistor wire/ballast resistor with a new wire for the HEI power? If not, your dizzy is probably running on low volts.

The whole point of a 1 wire is it doesn't care about any outside connections other then the primary charge output wire.
You guys, might be right on the money, checked my wires and it seems like the pink wire was soldered(adding 2 wires) under the hood and had one wire running to the Ignition on the Distributor and one went down to the starter, I read about this shortly after and it seems that they did this because:

https://www.americanautowire.com/vie...d-connections/

But: Once I realized that i could start and keep the truck idling (even with the other wire running to my starter not connected) I deleted the wire to the starter.

I did not replace the entire wire yet because I am seriously debating getting a painless harness because someone has already been in there messing with it.

Took it for a test ride and same Problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
And while you have the fuel line off, check the fuel filter in the inlet to the carb

If the pump checks out then leave the filter out for a test.
Be extremely careful removing the inlet fitting. It's fine Threaded and easily stripped.
Did this and it pumped out a full pickle jar in 30 seconds, clean filter and clean fuel.
Travisarmenta is offline   Reply With Quote