View Single Post
Old 06-14-2015, 11:23 AM   #20
Chevy1TonFun
Grease Monkey

Re: 1978 Chevy Crew Cab Ultimate Offroad Build

Took this last week off to work on the build. My buddy joined me to help out. We extended the frame in the front to accept the longer front springs.

We wanted to build off the frame in order to keep the spring height lower to keep our ride and articulation good. So I added a 4" square tube to mount the spring hanger to.

We cut the back of the old frame off. We added 2x6x.250 wall steel to replace the frame. This allowed us to shorten the frame and didn't have to box it.

I bought DIY4X's Shackle Flip kit for the rear suspension. With 6" springs and shackle flip, this will get me around 10". I went down to see Stan and Mark at Early Classic Enterprises to pick up a used set of 1972 Rear spring hangers to give me an extra 3" of rear lift.

To get to the 15" lift mark, we decided to move the shackle hanger to under the frame. We still need to fab the phish(?) plate, but we need to make sure the suspension sits right before all finish welds are accomplished.

We have most of the frame boxing complete. I bought half go DIY4X 1 Ton boxing kit. It is a great kit, but each frame is a little different. So we have some gaps at the front of the frame that my buddy is going to work.

I bought a none welded DIY4X's 67-72 Chevy engine crossmember so I could build one to fit the 73+ frame. Built a simple, but strong trans crossmember. After a day and half of mocking up and welding, I was so excited to put the cab on that I forgot to take a picture of the transfer case crossmember. So I have to get that one to you all later.

Now for the picture you all have been waiting for.... The cab and over all height of the truck sitting on 44' Boggers. Holy crap this thing is taller than I expected!!!! Just for reference... I stand at 5'8".

After much thought, I have decided to run with just bedsides. It keeps the truck lighter and easier to clean after playing in the mud.

Overall I am so excited and can't wait to finished this truck even more now. We have a little adjusting to do with the suspension to level the truck out. I am very happy for the mock and fit test fit with all the heavy parts.
FOR SALE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/c...ton-4x4&cat=12
Chevy1TonFun is offline   Reply With Quote