View Single Post
Old 12-10-2013, 05:41 PM   #87
Jahloha

Re: For Gramps (1970 C20 RestoMod)

Quote:
Originally Posted by knomadd View Post
read the directions first. I believe, even the bare metal primer is suggested to be sprayed in a 72 degree environment. Meaning it won't cure for a LONG time if it's cooler than that. It's never advised to paint in sub 50 degree weather without some sort of heater to warm up the room... or at least a high powered light that generates a lot of heat to warm up the metal. Don't use a heater as it could set the paint on fire.

EDIT: I mean to say, don't put a heater facing the painted part as it could cause a fire. Using a heater to warm up the metal first isn't a bad idea. If you heat up the metal first, you can paint the surface and use a flood light type lamp to help keep it warm to cure correctly.
That makes sense. It might be worth a decent flood lamp for this because like I had mentioned, I gotta get the frame painted and ready by Feb to keep with my schedule. Does that make sense? Also, a laser temp gauge might be helpful, so one at HF for about 25 bucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC3420 View Post
I posted this on your frame thread but using paint stripping discs work good as well for stripping off the paint as well as the grease that built up.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=584223
Thanks bud, I saw this on that thread. Appreciate the thorough follow up.

My grandpa, Gramps, won a 1970 C20 in 1969 for $1. I'm on a mission to restore it before he passes.

My 1970 C20 Build Thread
Jahloha is offline   Reply With Quote