View Single Post
Old 04-20-2017, 09:37 PM   #225
HO455
Post Whore

Re: Working Man's Burbon

The WMB didn't come with dome lights and this is a decadent luxury I have in the Blazer I don't want to live without in the Burban. So gathered up some new door switches and since I was doing this from scratch I wanted to add a warning buzzer that would sound if the door was open and the lights were on. I stopped at my nearest Radio Shack for one of their warning chimes. These are an electronic bell sound like on a new car. When I got inside the store I found out they are going out of business and everything was 90% off. I bought all three chimes they had, two rolls of white and orange wire, and some tips for my soldering iron. I will miss having them around.
After some searches here on the forum as to where to drill the holes for the switches as 67's don't have a a formed spot on the jam for the switch to sit like later years do. The drilling and tapping went fine, but apparently there are more than one lenght of switch as when I shut the door I found out that the switch was too long and it put a dent in the door and scratched the paint. I was surprised as to the amount of damage that happened as I was very careful to shut the door slow and did my best to watch for a problem. I should have put a piece of clay in the switch location and tested the height first. To solve the problem I took the switch apart and cut the outer tube off about 1/8". Then I cut the inner spring off about 3/16" and stretched it slightly. This solved the issue and the other door didn't get damaged. I ran the wire for the switch and one for door speakers at the same time. Earlier on in the project I had drilled a one inch holes in the kick panels as part of the rust proofing. I put a small hole in the 1" plug to run the wires through. Then ran the wire across to the drivers side and repeated the process on that side.
Attached Images

If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote