View Single Post
Old 12-30-2018, 10:42 AM   #6
Andy4639
Orignal Goof member

Wink Re: another alternator thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymi5150? View Post
more info.

the alternator tested bad at a big box store. replaced it, same outcome so i'm not sure if i have another bad one (doubt it).

i jerry rigged a jumper from the hot post of the alternator to the field terminal and it fixed the issue. the truck idles at 12.6 and revs up to about 13.1vdc.

i dont like the current fix but it tells me that the 9 vdc wasnt enough to excite the windings. i would think the battery would run down over time since its not switched power.

thoughts? is there an internally regulated, self exciting alternator i could upgrade to?

13.1 volts with nothing on but the truck running? If this is correct then the alternator isn't going to keep up with charging when you start cutting on stuff. Crank the truck up at idle turn everything on you can and see what the reading is. Then rev the engine and see if it goes any higher.
My personal opinion is get the external regulator and toss it and get a internal. You'll thank me in the morning.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote