View Single Post
Old 12-26-2007, 02:52 PM   #17
GSFMECH
On the road

Re: The GSFMech Build

Again I wish I would have taken photos while I was doing the rockers. Anyway I bought all the repop stuff and went to work. I had to replace both inner rockers, the lower A-pillars below the bottom door hinges (the part the fender mounts to), also the bottom of the kick panel. The A-pillars kick panels and inner rockers went well. I did have to bend up a piece of sheet metal on a buddy of mines brake to make the angle that's between the floor pan and inner rocker, it came out sweet. I did this because I couldn't see buying those big floor patch’s just for a small part of them. My floor pans were good except for a small section near the kick panel which I fixed with home brewed patch panels. The repop cab corners just didn't look right. I had to slice and dice to get them to look decent but I was never happy with them. The contour of the cab corner made it look like it had a big gap between the bed and cab. I mentioned this to Wynne and he said he had an entire NOS back cab panel for a 67 and said why don't you cut the cab corners out of it and use them? So I did and it looked so good the repop rockers looked like crap so I cut out the new rockers and cab corners, put the real GM cab corners in and ordered a set of GM rockers from the local Chevy dealer and installed them. Much better now. The pinch weld lines up and all the gaps and contours are right now. I also found rust in the cowl and the bottom of the left side outer panel on the duct. I cut a left side outer duct panel off one of my parts trucks to replace it with and fixed the rust behind it. The right side was perfect, it’s funny how one side will be good and the other rusty. I also had issues in the firewall where the inner brace is spot welded, they are bad about rusting. I cut the bad sections out and replaced the steel. All the rust is fixed now. I then stripped the cab to bare steel and coated it with the good DuPont epoxy, inside and out. It's all ready to prime and start blocking. Before I primed it I took one of those old suction type gunk guns and blasted all the inner panels in the cab and all up in the roof with Ospho. Hopefully that will help prevent future rusting. You know all these old trucks are ticking time bombs with rust all up in between the panels.
Attached Images

Castro- 72 SWB. Ochre and White. 496/400 turbo, GV OD ,Dakota Digital dash , tilt, Vintage Air, PS, hydro boost, factory buckets, console, QA-1 Coil over suspension, 20/20"Billet Specialties Magnetos

72 SWB. Med blue. 454/400 turbo, tach, tilt, Stock AC, PS,PDB, factory buckets, console, ECE 4/6 drop w/ 2" blocks and C-notch, 20/20"Coys- Crashed and destroyed by drunk driver Sept 2019. New 72 build in the works.

My new build thread "Castro"
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=820934

My old build thread, the blue truck
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=271489

www.louisianaclassictruckclub.com
GSFMECH is offline   Reply With Quote