View Single Post
Old 06-29-2018, 01:49 PM   #3
Psyekl

Re: Chevy P20 Step Van-King Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
Welcome....
A whole chassis swap will probably be easier than piecing together a bunch of parts....what does the frame look like...does it resemble a truck?
There may be parts that will fit it from other trucks....what exactly are you wanting to upgrade on the suspension...just brakes? Springs? Steering?......or more......
I originally was suggesting to my shop partner that we do a chassis swap. It was his idea that we just try to change out whatever few parts that require modification since he wasn't too sure there'd be too many real benefits for doing so with a truck like this.

I haven't climbed under it to look at the frame (but it does say "bus" in the VIN), and from what I see from under the hood it definitely looks like a truck chassis. The only real difference I see immediately is the forward-control orientation of the steering linkage.

I want disk brakes in the front and power steering. The suspension feels pretty good, so I don't think that will need to be upgraded other than just to have all of the worn parts replaced. I'm going to throw in a 5.3L LS1 and a newer transmission, probably a newer rear end as well since something has it geared very low (I doubt it's a transmission issue). We are going to be pulling the body off of the frame for the build in order to clean, paint and do any custom fabricating that we may require, so it will be a good time to get at everything that needs getting done.

I'm definitely open to any suggestions. I'm going for an RV that tows a small trailer (~1500-2000lb). It will see cross-country driving over mountain passes, twisting higways and I plan on more than a few dirt roads (rough, but within reason- no 4x4 stuff).
Psyekl is offline   Reply With Quote