View Single Post
Old 07-21-2018, 04:16 PM   #136
dmjlambert

Re: Help a NOOB - A continuing saga

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncpetersc View Post
Was thinking of small steps forward I could make, and thought I'd try to get the cannsiter type filter (mounted just after output of fuel selector valve). I started at the engine. Removing the fuel line from the carb (I wanted to take a look at the filter again anyway). Then I thought I would remove the supply line to the fuel pump.

After draining probably four or five mason jars worth of gas it is still flowing. I guess I have a good siphon going? Incidentally looking at what I drained, I am not seeing any contaminants.
This is good news, no visible contaminants in the fuel jars. maybe the problem is not as bad as it seems at first glance. I ended up getting a new fuel tank and sender for mine, just because I wanted to get the truck going quickly and didn't want to mess with the old tank. In the process i learned that taking out the seat and tank is not very difficult. Just 8 bolts hold the seat and if I remember right 7 bolts hold the tank. It is easier to lift the seat in and out of the truck with a helper, but not bad by yourself if you have some back and arm strength. There is a special tool for rotating the collar around the sending unit to take it out, but I just used some large pliers that I opened and placed against the tangs of the collar, and rotated it by hand it was pretty easy. So, overall, the seat, tank and sender are not bad to explore and just poke around and see what you have going on with it. Don't let it overwhelm you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncpetersc View Post
I have never heard of this filter sock. I assume this requires draining the tank somehow to remove the sending unit to have a look?
In this thread LockDoc gave use the part number of the filter sock.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=434265
I have not replaced mine because the new sending unit I got with my new tank had a new sock. But I am glad to have that part number from LockDoc for when the time comes to replace it.

So how much gas do you have in the tank and how old is it? If it is reasonably fresh you could be fairly close to putting that new-to-you carburetor on and fire it up. If it is old gas, then that could cause problems. I'm looking back through the saga for mentions of old gas and didn't notice any.

I would think a filter sock that is in good shape, the inline filter by the selector, and the Quadrajet's own built-in filter should be enough.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote