View Single Post
Old 05-03-2018, 02:28 PM   #28
Genuine GM

Re: Project Whipping Post

This post is all about my shop and the half of the delays in this project. Feel free to skip it. I am documenting it as a means to wrap my head around the why's of almost a decade spent on one project.

Picking up where I left off in the previous post.... As mentioned I took almost 2 years off of the truck for a house move. 2 YEARS!?!? Why? Because the shop wasn't setup for working out of and the house need other work done first. It was a good storage area, but nothing else. The photos tell the tale, asphalt and gravel with one wall missing.

In July 2012 I finally had enough money to tackle that. I had concrete poured and threw a wall up. Then painted the floors.

Ahh, when my shop was uncluttered. (That is a rust free, but dented hood along the wall. I still have it and someday I'll use it to replace the bondo and rust hood I currently run!)

Now I was knocking down dreams left and right. Bigger house. Property. No city taxes. Shop.

Then I caught a summer cold that just wouldn't quit. I was sick with a fever on and off for three weeks. When I started coughing blood I threw in the towel and went to the ER. It wasn't as bad as it sounds. Turns out I had pneumonia and was on the verge of hospitalization. And just like that another month was lost.

At least the next delay was hot rod related! Goodguys comes twice a year here in N. Texas, so we took Ruby (see my signature) to the 2012 Fall show and low and behold a valve decided it was done. BAM! New priority! The rest of 2012 and early 2013 was spent getting Ruby up and running again because I couldn't be without a hot rod come the Spring show!

Just a little 350 (with ported Dart II Heads and a Comp Xtreme 268 cam)

It was now April 2013 and I was ready to get back to the truck. I could get it running in a month or less, OR I could take advantage of the shop and pull the bed and do the rear suspension. Let's see... which would cause more delays, money, and headache?

Off with your bed!
1961 IH Scout 80 - "Gaucho" (My wife's new project)
1938 Chevy - unstarted project.
Genuine GM is offline   Reply With Quote