View Single Post
Old 08-26-2011, 08:30 AM   #44
Jesse@Bluskyclsccrs

Re: 1970 Chevrolet Suburban: Project "Beach Wagon"

Hey all! Just wanted to chime in and say hello. I've been doin all of the work on the ol Burban and figured I would give a little update on the ol girl! Just to answer some questions I saw that were asked in the thread here and there, the rotiserie we use is actually a "Auto Twirler", not a roto 2000 like Phil had indicated. They are very similar in design but the Auto Twirler has a few designs we liked better. This particular tub was slightly difficult to mount up so I actually put a couple tack welds to the rear body panel where it bolted so it didnt want to twist it with the weight of the body. I had a couple brackets I made for a previous project that we had on the rotiserie that worked out pretty well. I kept it slightly bottom heavy so the thing didnt want to flip over whenever we loosened the locking bolts. We always had two or three people controlling the body for the purpose of safety. I recently saw the new auto twirler at carlisle and its a gorgeous peice! It uses roller bearings in the pivot point and makes it very easy to rotate!

I got the body all mocked up so I can start body work soon. Yesterday I mocked up the new rear tailgate and lift gate and installed the gas struts. What a difference it made! It really modernized the feel of the tailgate instead of having those deadly ratchet style supports. I used the struts from a 85 Volvo 740 wagon from the thread I saw on this forum. I also worked on evening up the gap on the tailgate by adding some weld to the edge, laying tape down and grinding back to the tape edge. It looks much much better and is nice an consistent. I really want this thing to have nice consistent gaps around the entire truck cause we all know how well these trucks lined up from the factory......... haha You can see in a previous set of pictures that the gap between the front and rear door was gigantic so I used the same method to close the gap. I'm beginning body work shortly to it so we can get it in prime! Then we will work on getting the mechanical work all squared away once the engine comes in. (We will show our secret for mating a certain trans/bell housing to a certain engine) Anyway, were glad to see that there is alot of interest in Londoncallings project! Here's a few pics of the tailgate mock up and strut "conversion". I will continue to post picture as progress continues!

You can see the gap is much larger towards the top then the bottom. This is where I added weld to close it up and make it more consistent from top to bottom.

Jesse@Bluskyclsccrs is offline   Reply With Quote