View Single Post
Old 04-24-2018, 01:42 PM   #38
RADustin

Re: 1976 CCSB Duramax Project #trucknamedsue

3D model updates.

As I mentioned earlier, the front looks alot more complete than it is. So I set out to get that finished up so I can officially have a roller.

The coil towers where sort of drawn early on, but setup for 8" Kings. I change them for the 10" Foxes. I also added a cross over bar, over the top of the duramax to connect both towers to keep from rolling the frame rails.

The factory Ford panhard mount wasn't going to work, so I removed that and designed my own. I ordered a Reid Racing high steer knuckle for the 2005+ Ford D60. Also steering box from redhead and a jeep TJ pitman. I'll be using GM 1-ton TREs on the drag link and the factory ford tie rod. Using all the dimensions of the selected components, and physicals of the redhead box, I sized the length and position of the TRE on the Reid high steer knuckle. The steer arm bends over to line up much closer to the king pin axis so that the truck will steer the same left as right. The ratios are set so that the steering wheel angle will give similar road wheel angles as the stock LML truck. This is so the ABS system and stabilitrak will work. I will be mounting a steering wheel angle sensor to the column to monitor this.

so anyways, lots of fun design work. challenging to get all the fitments right, keep it looking nice, and making sure it'll function correctly with all the fancy LML electronics.

I did 3D scan the drivers inner fender and steering box. I'll work on cleaning up the inner fender more and get it 'mounted' as close as I can to real so hopefully I can pull some templates out the model when it comes time to cut it up for the coil towers. The steering box was done to ensure fitment.

I'm just starting to finish sorting the rear out. Looking to get the spare tire under the bed [hopefully!] and get a hitch out there. But, the spare tire fitment is VERY tight. The hitch shown is from the LML and just for kicks while I think about it. I'll probably run a class 3/4 hitch and not the 5 that the LML is. I don't really tow heavy bumper pull trailers.

I'll progress this in the coming days. The plan being that the remainder of everything can be cut in one more laser order. Then just small nic-nacs after that my brother can cnc plasma for me.

1976 GMC Sierra Classic C35 CCSB
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...25#post8188825

Last edited by RADustin; 08-08-2019 at 11:42 AM.
RADustin is offline   Reply With Quote