Thread: TA_C10: Stage 1
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2019, 10:10 PM   #90
TA_C10

Re: TA_C10: Stage 1

Inner Cab Roof - Header Panel

Guys I need some help. Do you think I should put some seam sealer on the inside of the roof seam since I have access to it? Or should I just wait and only use the self leveling sealer on the outside and let it seep inside on its own? I was thinking I would use the caulk tube stuff on the inside, then use the self leveling on the outside of the rain gutter seam. What do you think?

So, I'm working on my header panel obviously It had some rust holes so I started to cut little pieces out first and ended up drilling all the spot welds and replacing a lot of the panel.

Check out all the glass from sandblasting! Came right through the seams in the rain gutters. That would have never came out had I not cut out the roof. I stuck the air nozzle way up in the roof and blew out everything I could. Glass came out of everywhere...

Here is what it looked like after I cut it out.

I used the old pieces to mock up the new panel to cut. Ground it down with flap wheel to size and got it ready to burn in. Took like 20 times of clamping up and taking down but I got it close enough. I may have to add a little sliver of metal in one place cuz I took too much out but we shall see. I also had to cut slivers all through the header panel to make it fit properly. It made it a lot easier to fit.

I used the old panel again to size up the existing holes so when I spot weld them back in then will go over the same holes I cut out. This will help fill back in any metal I cut out re-strengthening the piece. That's the idea anyways. Hopefully I don't burn through the panel!!

Here it is holes drilled and almost ready to go.

I used Eastwood fast etch to spray all the old metal and rust down after wire wheeling it. I sprayed it way back inside the cab panel as well. I did a couple different coats to make sure it stayed wet. It stayed wet for quite a while so its working pretty good. It's already turning colors. I plan to let it sit overnight and then I will shoot it with Eastwood rust encapsulator and then burn in the new panel.

"It's only money".
TA_C10 is offline   Reply With Quote