View Single Post
Old 11-11-2011, 01:22 AM   #10
lukefalls

Re: 12" lift for front of 72 blazer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDeere550 View Post
its to bad everyone that looked at this post has a negative comment on a 12 inch lift..

go to diy4x.com and get the genI axle flip n switch for the rear which is 4.5" of lift alone then go with an 8in spring and then the 52in front leaf spring conversion for the front with a 4.5"shackle. the longer the spring will make up for the arch lift and wont be as rough. caster is nothin to worry about with that shackle either i have it on mine its not like the tires will wear faster or anything and it won't be noticeable. 12inches of lift is a badass idea doont listen to others lol
HUH? First, caster doesn't wear the tires. Toe in/out will wear tires. Caster most often causes "death wobble" and other wandering/handling issues. Don't get your caster wrong! Second, just because you can mix and match parts doesn't mean you should. The only part of that whole thing that sounds even close to right is that the longer spring will make for a slightly softer ride.

I think that you're talking about a SHACKLE flip n switch. 52s alone in the front won't give you 12" of lift. I used a 7" shackle (yes, even at the proper angle) and only got about 5" of lift. I had to use a panhard rod due to how soft the springs are.

I don't want to sound too negative. I am actually a safety nut (sorta). I'd rather your rig be safe on the road than big. If you want 12" of lift, you'll sacrifice handling and safety. 12" on a budget is not really possible. Just about everything needs to be address...which means it cost money.

This is with a 1" drop on the front of the 52" springs and a 7" shackle. It handled flawlessly on the road and performed awesome off road. It was still no where near 12" of lift. Add to that, it was actually expensive to build.

Last edited by lukefalls; 11-11-2011 at 01:27 AM.
lukefalls is offline   Reply With Quote