View Single Post
Old 10-07-2011, 01:49 PM   #2
bodyman922

Re: Welding body panels

Sorry but in my opinion clecko's are worthless, they don't hold the panel tight enough. I use 1/8 inch sheet metal screws, they hold tighter and cost a small fraction of the clecko's and they are reuseable like the clecko's. I would buy a panel flanger instead of butt welding for two reasons: it's a lap joint that is the same depth as a butt, and it's easier to weld.

If you are dead set on using a butt joint then buy the thinest cutting wheels you can for a die grinder. Overlap the new steel with the old and screw in place. Slowly cut along the top of the new steel and carefully unscrew a small section at a time, 2-3 inches, and peel away the overlap. Using a small screwdriver align panels and tack weld in place. Once all the tack welds are in place you can carefully come back to weld the rest being cautious not to warp the panel. Take your time and go slow it will be a better repair in the end. Also make sure to remove any old metal in the jambs so as not to have that overlaped since that should be butt welded anyway. Good luck and have fun!
bodyman922 is offline   Reply With Quote