View Single Post
Old 08-14-2017, 11:42 AM   #8
Jeepwm69

Re: Which Battery are you using

Optima batteries are crap now, especially for the price.

I started buying Red Tops in 1998. Had a Jeep that started hard, and I dropped $$$ to get that first Red Top. It lasted 7 hard years on that Jeep. Winch, KC lights, and a carb with a sticky float that meant I had to crank and crank on it to get it started.

So I was an Optima fanboy. Put them on three Jeeps, a 4runner, two tractors, and two pickups.

Then Optima sold out to Johnson Controls, who promptly moved production to Mexico.

The last two Red Tops I bought both died in under a year. Yes, they were replaced under warranty, but when I pay that much for a battery, I shouldn't have to replace a $200 battery in under a year, much less two batteries. I still have a couple of Red Tops in service, but they don't hold charges for extended periods like the old ones did. I have to keep these in a Tender to keep them up. The Red Tops of old could sit on a Jeep for over a year and would still crank it up without issue.

Yes, some people have had good luck with the Mexican optimas, but some people have good luck with used batteries from Autozone too. Doesnt' mean I'm willing to shell out $200 for a "maybe" good battery.

Jeep boards have been voicing displeasure with Optima for the same reason. They look the same as the old good Optimas, but they aren't the same.

Odyssey is the best you can buy now, but they are pricey...real pricey.

I've started using Deka. Made in the US, and available locally for me. Have had good luck with them thus far. Their Intimidator is an AGM and that's what I prefer for the reasons homemade87 stated.
Jeepwm69 is offline   Reply With Quote