View Single Post
Old 05-01-2014, 06:41 PM   #123
skorpioskorpio

Re: Project Madera: A Jimmy GT

Well no I haven't and really wouldn't.

First off it'll be a tech vehicle under the covers, but there is a certain somewhat crude vintage racing look I'm going for, big LED arrays don't fit that look at all. I'm even trying to figure out how to disguise the LEDs I would like to use like marker lights and such, I'd like the reliability but don't want the array look.

Second those Marchals will throw a focused beam over a mile and a half, no current LED can do that at least not for a few more years. Even some of the huge LED arrays that are dimensionally bigger, are super expensive, and draw even more power can't do that.

I kind of like the horizonalless grill, it has a sort of Pontiac look to it which I think goes with the Trans Am extractors I'm putting in the fenders and Grand Prix door handles, and you know the GMCs were sold on the same lot alongside Pontiacs most of the time.

Very well funded World Rally Championship teams and Paris-Dakar teams are still using these long out of production Marchals and Cibie Super Oscars in preference to any LED or HID technologies. The same is true in the 24 hour races the vast majority of forward lighting is halogen, while LEDs are starting to creap in, I don't think any of the cars are using LEDs exclusively. HIDs have pretty much come and gone already, virtually absent from high dollar night racing.

I do think the LED stuff will eventually take over, but it's just not there yet and I don't think it'll ever look vintagey well not until it actually is.
skorpioskorpio is offline   Reply With Quote