View Single Post
Old 12-26-2006, 10:32 PM   #12
ChevyTech

Re: 1991 GMC runs poorly after engine is warm

Glad you are making progress.

Quote:
I did find a couple of other sensors located on the drivers side. One is toward the bottom near the oil filter (Oil sending unit?) and has what appears to be a black wire. The nut on it basically looks like a ball of rust so I would hate to touch this.
The knock sensor should be located in that area on a 4.3 – yes leave it alone. I think the knock sensor wire is dark blue.

Quote:
The other sensor is located between the #3 and #5 spark plug and has a single wire that appears to be a light to medium blueish wire. Could this possibly be it?
The one between the #3 and #5 spark plugs is the temp sending unit for the dash gauge/light.

Quote:
The wiring diagrahm that I have says the 02 sensor has a purple wire though.
Yes, purple.

Be looking for the O2 sensor in an exhaust part where the exhaust gasses will hit it. It does not screw into the engine block. O2 sensors on some engines are in the exhaust manifolds but yours should be in the exhaust pipe. It takes heat to make the O2 sensor work, so it they are close to the engine.

Is it possible that what looks like a plug is the old O2 sensor broken off?

Quote:
If some one removed the 02 sensor from the system would their be a reason for this and wouldn't this cause all sorts of other problems. If I did have an Oxygen sensor go AWOL how hard would it be to install one without messing something else up? Does seem strange sense I never had the engine light come on before the other problems started.
This is why I thought I wanted to get to the resolution of this issue. The system is dependent on a working O2 sensor to go into closed loop operation and work properly.

Last edited by ChevyTech; 12-26-2006 at 10:33 PM.
ChevyTech is offline   Reply With Quote