View Single Post
Old 12-06-2017, 12:04 AM   #26
hillbillyrider

Re: truck wont warm up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeZ View Post
Sounds like the problem is that engine not getting up to operating temp. I'd try old school investigation to find what's causing that problem. first use a thermometer in the radiator to confirm that the guage is showing the actual engine temp. Then I'd bypass the heater core by removing both hoses from it and hooking them to each other with tubing and hose clamps. Run the engine at varying speeds for 15 min. If that doesn't do anything remove the return hose at the radiator, plug the nipple on the radiator with a short piece of tubing and a bolt or something to plug it. Put a water hose with a rag around it in the radiator fill neck and run it some more. If no change make sure the spark plugs are the right ones. Maybe block off the thermostat itself by wrapping it with tinfoil and reinstalling.

I had one once that did the same exact thing you describe, I was working 7/12s (out of town in Minnesota in February) and couldn't work on it. On the way to the mechanic's shop it magically healed itself. Turns out it had an air pocket in the cooling system, once that got out it worked fine for the rest of the time I owned it, about 6 yrs. Don't know how to get it out, just time and driving I guess, maybe the hose in the fill neck would do it. Hope some of his helps.
Thanks. that is exactly what I have been saying. the engine is not getting up to operating temp. i should not be able to stick my finger in the coolant after 45 minutes of run time without it burning me. It acts as if there is no thermostat in it. There have been two put in and of the correct size. i may try the blocking off of it and see what happens. gonna flush the whole system first though. thanks again.
hillbillyrider is offline   Reply With Quote