Thread: Pre 47 FAQ
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2012, 12:15 AM   #11
fishmunger

Re: Pre 47 FAQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimbailess View Post
front axles....when trying to replace my huck brakes on my 46 Gmc, I needed to change the hubs also because the Gmc one tons had a different bolt pattern that was 6 on 7 1/2" . I was able to find an 8 on 6 1/2" axle off what I believe was a 53 chevy 3/4 ton that had the same center to center spring measurements. I removed the chevy axle, but one of the leaf springs main leaf was broken in two, so I did not take the springs...when I went to install the newer axle on my 46, even though the springs center to center was the same, the springs themselves were 1/4" narrower...talk about bummed...I could have just ovaled the holes in the axle, but decided instead to swap the later brakes onto the early axle...the only problem was having to drill the top two holes in the spindle out to 1/2", after that everything else bolted up, and I was able to find seals from Napa that are an improvement over the original design...

man that sounds like a nightmare! I bet you're STOKED now that you got that dilemma solved. good job and glad it all worked out
fishmunger is offline   Reply With Quote