View Single Post
Old 09-10-2014, 10:29 AM   #1
bowtieguy79
Ephesians 2:8

72 Suburban Making it mine

Couple months back we picked up a super clean 72 suburban, needed a little TLC and some things changed, but it fit the bill, solid body, few imperfections that would allow us to not care as much about driving it possibly daily.

Our end goal is a Family Vacation / Power Tour long haul vehicle, and maybe since its currently bright Illini Orange a tail gate vehicle here and there

It currently has a the factory 402/400TH. It runs good but man it drinks to much fuel. It will be upgraded to a 5.3 LS and a 4L60E out of my 79 C10.

Should motivate the Sub for what we want. Click on pic for the vid of the 79

Don't worry the C10 will get upgraded after the sub is where I want it.

To date I have changed the second row seats out for front seats of a 04 Silverado

Came with a second row from an Avalanche nice seats, just didn't fit like I wanted them to. Sat way to close to the front seats. They could have been modified and moved back, but I was wanting captains chairs.

04 Front seats

The next issue that was causing driving issues was the dirty original gas tank. I had put 4 new inline fuel filters in it and it was just getting worse. I dropped the tank and I think I got about a half folgers can of dried gas chunks and rust. The sending unit was missing the float, I think it disintegrated... The old tank also had a couple of pin holes so it was time for a new tank.

I shopped and searched here, and man for another 10 gallon I just couldn't see spending $1000 on a fancy tank. I opted for a factory replacement LMC 21 gallon tank and sending unit kit.

Figured while I was there, I would prep it for the LS swap.

Moving forward, I intend to trade the factory front AC with a vintage air unit and T in the factory Rear air that is in place in the Sub now. The LS will remain a factory stock 5.3, no plans to mod, same with the transmission.

The interior we want to go with tan leather. Similar to what you would see in the 03-06 Z71 Suburbans, that lighter colored tan and add a third row seat. The audio system will be similar to what you would find in a newer suburban. I may go with an Ipad based system, but the rear will have DVD for the kiddo's.

Our goal is to drive this thing anywhere, Rocky Mountains, Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, Mertle Beach. Where ever, and I intend to have it as safe as I can make it, and as reliable as I can make it.
bowtieguy79 is offline   Reply With Quote