View Single Post
Old 05-07-2016, 11:07 PM   #23
51Chevy3100

Re: 1951 3100 Patina Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 to Life View Post
I'd say don't remove too many xmembers unless you put one back bf you take one out. You'd be surprised on how these frames will flex and twist. I wouldn't worry about all those holes in frame. You can fill some but I'd highly rec making sure they aren't going to be used. Frames flexing some isn't terrible, they actually all will flex but it all depends on your application. I wouldn't worry about it, just box in what you can and keep it moving. Nothing wrong with bolting some stuff back on, running board brackets are a great example.
Thanks for the input, that helps a lot! The only one I removed is an aftermarket trans crossmember that is in the picture. The factory one was cut off by the previous owner (as shown) for a more modern drive train he had put in. I'm not going for a show truck by any means so I may fill a couple of the holes that held brackets on that I know won't be re used and leave the rest, based on your input. My plan is to box front and rear where the suspension is attached, not going to box the entire length.
Thanks again 99! Been following a long with Geronimo and learning more and more from your builds all the time.

Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=636116

87 V30 1 ton Mud Truck
51Chevy3100 is offline   Reply With Quote