View Single Post
Old 07-29-2019, 05:38 PM   #13
kipps

Re: GM Truck Hydro-Boost Sealkit ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselSJ View Post
So you can replace the brake rod seal? I read somewhere that you had to remove the rod to do that and the rod was crimped in place.
There's two styles. The older ones secured the rod with a rubber grommet. The newer ones crimped(staked) the rod in place. Instructions say to pull the grommet type out for repair, and to cut/reweld the staked rod when repairing. I cut and welded my staked rod.

After I did that, I ran across info saying that the staked rod could be pulled out as well. It just takes a lot more force, and some fabrication to make a puller. Restaking it is easy enough, it seems. Just use a small punch to crimp some metal back around the ball end of the shaft.

With a staked rod, it's going to require some metal work either way. If you have handy access to a welder, it's probably just as easy to cut and reweld.
1987 C6P V20 truck, 2010 LMG 5.3, AFM delete, 2010 Camaro exhaust manifolds, 1997 nv4500, 1991 np241c, hydroboost, 2005 14bff axle & driveshaft, drop-n-lock gooseneck, 4.10 gears, stock suspension, rims, and tires. Still a work in progress. Any questions or suggestions are welcome!

Last edited by kipps; 07-29-2019 at 05:53 PM.
kipps is offline   Reply With Quote