View Single Post
Old 01-21-2019, 02:00 PM   #8
68Stepbed

Re: Hotchkis Stage 1 TVS or Ridetech Street Grip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie1998 View Post
I guess neither of these kits are used much on these trucks. I see that the ECE 4/6 drop kit is highly recommend. Does it noticibly improve handling? Would the ECE kit with front and rear sway bars improve the cornering? Again, I’m not looking to race this truck but I would like it to handle well.
The reason you don't see either of these kits as often is the cost of each system compared to the lower cost of standard drop kits. Keep in mind that most lowered truck guys here are mainly into cruising/car shows, or just want to ride around in a good looking truck. Very few of us are actually into the handling (autocross/road racing) scene. So, if there's no intention in major handling, there's no need in dropping $2K+ for suspension when a $500-800 drop kit will fit their needs.

That said, an ECE 4/6 drop kit with proper shocks and good sway bars will handle quite well for spirited back road driving, but will have limitations in a true "performance handling" situation like autocross. In fact, from what I've witnessed, and from one-on-one conversations with Bret Voelkel, the Ridetech StreetGrip and the Hotchkis kit will have the same limitations due to the basic geometry of the stock control arms and steering box.

The StreetGrip system is designed for giving the popular 4/6 drop that many desire, but with improved ride quality using dual rated springs and upgraded delrin bushings and control arm hardware for increased suspension stability(no mushy rubber bushings). It is NOT designed to transform a truck to an autocross beast. That's what they make the coilover set for.

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote