View Single Post
Old 05-21-2020, 04:47 PM   #5
Malibu Monte

Re: Longterm 1972 K10 LWB Restoration/Maintenence Thread

I am back! Three years after starting this thread. I have been following the forum regularly, but haven't posted any progress on my truck, because there hasn't been any! The truck has been licensed and insured this whole time and is still being called on occasionally to do some work around the farm. I now have an 02 2500HD Duramax that is kind of a beater that does most of the work anymore. I don't think I have drove the truck off of the farm since I bought the my Duramax last year. I think it is time to retire the old 72 and give it the restoration it deserves.

I came across what was left of this K20 a couple of years ago and I tried to contact the owner to buy it, but I was unsuccessful. A friend of mine farms the ground surrounding the property this was on and he was able to buy it. He used the axles, two rear crossmembers, and 10" off the end of the frame on the passenger side. I ended up buying what was left because this frame is still better than mine.

When I first seen the truck from afar I could tell it had tow hooks and I sure hoped they were factory, but unfortunately they are something aftermarket.

I am going to try and restore this frame before I take my truck apart and have it done and ready before I restore the body. Are the rear crossmembers 4x4 specific or would a 2wd crossmember work if it is a leaf spring truck? I know the 2wd coil spring truck crossmembers would be different. Looking forward to making some progress on the old girl.