View Single Post
Old 02-23-2017, 02:32 AM   #13
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: Ignition Switch Wiring - A do over

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteVet View Post
Here's a diagram showing the wires from the firewall block. This one is for the gauge dash. See the black wires for the battery gauge.

Attachment 1625441

Notice the white/orange/red/ resistance wire from the FB to the starter. Then see the wire to the ignition coil ties into it. You get 12 volts while starting and 9 volts during normal running. That's why you need to replace that wire or run a new one to the HEI distributor.

I can identify the other wires if you need me too.

BINGO..............I got it. Comedy of errors surrounding that Resistance wire. My wife says it's pink BTW. Doesn't matter.

I didn't realize until today that resistance wire had a butt connector with a yellow wire to the starter. I've always "known" it to be the yellow wire to the starter. So every time someone mentioned "yellow starter and coil", well, between not having a coil and being an amateur, have to say, I gots confused.

I can't tell you how many times I've handled the starter, only to reconnect the "yellow" resistance wire resisting nothing.

Thank you for clearing things UP.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote