Thread: C4 vs M2
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2018, 09:38 PM   #4
mr48chev

Re: C4 vs M2

A C 4 setup isn't going to cost less by the time you get done with it. That is unless you get a serious bargain on the C 4 suspension pieces.

Low buck would probably be finding a Jag XJ front crossmember and suspension with everything in real good shape. That should get a guy in for around 500 US depending on the cost of the unit. It can be spendy to rebuild though.

An industrial Chassis Dodge Dakota crossmember for and AD is 550 US and two wheel drive Dakota pieces are not that spendy in wrecking yards. Parts fall under Joedoh's Factory parts concept in that you don't have to worry about special one off bushings or what not. Meaning you can usually get most parts by walking into a regular parts house or may only have to wait until the next stock order comes in from the warehouse. For an AD it is also a bolt in unit that won't raise the hackles on Canadian vehicle inspectors. They stick their nose under it and it is all production pieces with a crossmember that looks like it would hold up a railroad bridge as far as strength goes.

The guy selling the crossmember that uses factory G body has had too many issues with quality control or getting the product out to customers depending on who you listen to.

I've lost all interest in subframe swaps simply because too many guys can't install one worth a hoot and you have to hack up the front end sheet metal too much to make them fit.

I've never been a fan of frame swaps as usually they are done rather quick and nasty by guys wanting to throw together a cheap truck in a hurry. If you buy the swap kit and rebuild the suspension you have more in it than the super high dollar complete MII setup and still have just a frame swap truck. In Canada you might have inspection issues with the frame swap to add to that.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote