View Single Post
Old 04-16-2018, 09:25 AM   #13
DransportGarage

Re: Choosing a transmission crossmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_50 View Post
Lol I've had to get a welder buddy by a few times, it's just not very often. So I try to do as much as I can with very little welding mixed in. I've started getting better at it but I've got a ways to go.

I've got an angle finder and I'm ready. I'm going to level the carb and get the end of trans at like 3-4 degrees right? Same with axle... not welded to seats yet... but I need to make sure it's not perfectly lined up. Or so I'm told.
Just like the articles in the link will tell you -- the centerlines of the transmission and the pinion yoke should be parallel, and you should shoot for each angle being 3 degrees (optimally), to achieve that parallelism.

If you line everything up perfectly at zero degrees instead of 3 degrees, the truck will be a big tuning fork and you'll be able to take it out for a butt massage.

Leveling the carb is a good thing but, in my opinion, not as critical as drive train geometry.
Bob's Retirement Build - My 55 TF
Bob's 700R4 Build (how-to)
DransportGarage is offline   Reply With Quote