View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 12:29 PM   #5
Coach529

Re: 1949 Chevy 3600 into a daily driver

It lives....after 30 years of being quiet it belched and coughed to life. Came to life with very little cranking.

Had a little drama when I found a pool of oil underneath. Turned out to be deteriated lines to and from external oil filter housing. Picked up some fittings at the parts store and a chunk of fuel line and patched that up.

Runs fairly strong and on all 6 cylinders but only when I feed it fuel. The fuel pump seems to not be working.

I do not know the condition of the inside of the fuel tank so I took the fitting apart below the tank and added a piece of fuel line into a gas can. I assumed the pump would pull from their.

I order a new fuel pump and a water pump as it is worn out an leaking horrible.

Tonight I installed a new fuel pump I purchased from the local Napa.

After I got it mounted up I blew compressed air through the fuel lines to verify they were clear. I then rigged up my temp fuel source and verified I had fuel at the pump. I buttoned up all the lines and turned it over until it started. Fired up relatively easy and idled for about a minute then died. It did this repeatedly.

I am not too concerned, I did not open up the carb at all, nor did I look at the points, plug, plug wires or the coil. All those issues will be addressed shortly.

I picked up a used 10SI alternator from a buddy so can start my 12v conversion asap.

You should have saw the look on my 8 year olds eyes when I fired it up from the cab......soo awesome!!
Coach529 is offline   Reply With Quote