View Single Post
Old 07-29-2018, 09:39 AM   #89
cruizin01

Re: '78 K20 to C10. Almost 20 years in the making.

I finally decided to go ahead and try and paint my red seat with the SEM color coat. I found some pretty sticky masking tap that would adhere to the velour pretty well. I took my time and masked off the black velour and most of the underside of the seat bottom and back.

I used the SEM soap to scrub the vinyl with a gray scotch brite pad. Then right before I sprayed it I used the SEM vinyl prep. You spray it on and then wipe it off before you paint. I then took my harbor freight gun and shot 3ish coats of color coat.

I had previously messed around with darkening the Storm Gray color by adding some Medium Gray to it. I liked the color but what actually ended up on the seat appears quite a bit lighter. So I dunno why that is. It'll do for now. Ill decide what I want to do in the future. Whether its repainting it or having a new cover made for it. Or even buy a seat from TKCR. Or I still would like a later seat with headrest.

The color dried super quick, almost too quick. I wish I would have laid another coat on it. Once it dried it was pretty rough to the touch. So after the seat dried for a day I took 1k grit sandpaper and a spray bottle and wet sanded the new paint. It worked great. Its all very smooth except in a couple spots where I was afraid of sanding through the coating. This coating is super durable. After about a half hour I test a small spot and was unable to scrape it off with my nail. Pretty impressed. Hopefully it holds up decent.

I also took some time to clean up the seat tracks. They really need replaced as they dont work great. The passenger side wont latch quite right on its own. It needs help.

I got the seat put back together and installed in the truck. Dont mind the carpet color in the pictures. Its not that yellow or dirty looking.

I hung the rear cab wall carpet as well before putting the seats in. Forgot a picture. Its just held in place with velcro tape.

I installed the seats belts as well. The bolts that came with the new bracket didn't fit my cab for some reason so I had to scrounge around for some bolts. I didn't have the originals.

I wanted to get the kick panels cut and test fit before I paint everything so I finished both of those. I drilled some holes to go through the new speaker pod into the old kickpanel holes. Everything fits fine. Very snug with the carpet and sounded barrier and sound deadener. I had to trim the bottom of the kick panel a bit.

I picked up some 1/16" ABS plastic off amazon to make a trim plate for my bluetooth "remote". I cut a couple small pieces for the knob holes then made a small plate for the remote to snap into. I just taped it to the back of the bezel. I think it turned out pretty good. Not factory looking but not butchered either. I have about half the money of a Retro Sound unit with 2x the power from the external amp.

Im hoping to paint a few interior trim items today. Im not gonna have enough paint. That seat took quite a bit more than I was expecting.