View Single Post
Old 01-17-2017, 04:18 PM   #65
CSHADES

Re: Rebuilding my 1977 plow truck

At this point I was working on the details to finish the truck and get ready for plowing season. The one thing I had left to do was paint the air cleaner assembly. So I had it in the blast cabinet cleaning it up and when I took it out of there I noticed the nipple for the vacuum hose was missing off the air door motor. I thought great now what am I going to do? Even if there was a motor available I had already welded pieces on to this one a while back to make it function again. These trucks with a carb do not like it when it is really cold out and the hot air parts do not work. So I went over to my storage building with the intensions of finding a replacement air cleaner. I looked through all of what I have collected over the years(glad I kept some things). I did not have another q-jet air cleaner in the pile. So I called my brother that keeps even more stuff than I do, he didn't have one either. I looked at a perfect 2 barrel air housing I had in the pile and realized the snorkel was the same. So I drilled the 4 spot welds out and removed the snorkel. It fit perfect in place of the original one. I didn't get to carried away restoring the air cleaner, it was very crusty and unfortunately the original build date sticker on it wasn't savable. The sticker for the emissions I did save, that's the white sticker on the top. I painted around it and then cleared over it.
Attached Images

CSHADES is offline   Reply With Quote