View Single Post
Old 06-07-2018, 04:54 PM   #1
LuvNLife

Turbo 350 - Possible Issues

Folks; need some advice before I pull out the money gun and pull the trigger.

I've got a 350/195 GM replacement engine, with a Turbo 350 behind it. I just got this recently, so it's history is lost, but both seem to be very low mileage and fresh from about 7 years ago when the truck was built out.

The truck came with a flexible aluminum fan on it, which sounded like a turbine spinning up from a dead stop, so I swapped that out for a 6 blade steel with thermal clutch. Well, the turbine sound is the same as ever, so it's not the fan. Also, if the truck sits a day or two, I fire it up, wait about 1 minute (always let older vehicles sit for a few before heading out), then drop it into "D" and nothing - no movement. Back up to "R" and the same - nothing. Go from park to "L1", and it goes right into gear. After this routine, it drives out fine, with firm shifts. The fluid is full, bright pink/red and has zero odor to it.

Finally, I don't know if this is trans related, but from a dead stop, the thing takes forever to get up to speed if you mash the go pedal - no slippage, just the worst dog I've ever driven. I do have crazy tall gears (3.08 max), but with the timing at 12 degrees, a new 500 carb and true dual exhaust, it just seems something is way off. Automatic transmissions are all black magic to me anyhow, so I don't know if it could be the converter, etc.

Thoughts are appreciated!
LuvNLife is offline   Reply With Quote