View Single Post
Old 11-10-2018, 12:32 AM   #537
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: Disc Brake Upgrade Reference Thread

You can NOT just swap the control arms on a '63-'66 C20 as can be done on the C10's. The C20 suspension crossmember does not have any saddles to accommodate the '73+ round LCA shafts. The '63-'66 C20 LCA shafts are flat. I do not know if on the C20's you can just change the outer tierods to accommodate the disc brake spindles. Additionally I do not know of anyone that makes the special aluminum tierod adapters as they do for the C10's. You may end up changing the entire steering linkage, which is what I always recommend doing on the C10's.

I replied to your PM from earlier today. With help from member Aotte1, I have determined that in order to install the K6129 lower ball joints into the '63-'66 lower control arms, the holes will need to be enlarged .010-.012". The K6129 lower ball joint fits '73-'92 C20/2500 and '71-'91 C30/3500's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66_C20 View Post
So I’ve read thru all sorts of threads in the FAQ section regarding a disc brake conversion and I’m still trying to clarify what exactly I need to accomplish this. I have a 1966 C20 and would actually like to keep it an 8 lug and not really worried about lowering the truck much. I figured these compromises would make the swap fairly easy with sourcing new parts for say a 1976 C20 and just swapping them out. I’d much rather do a parts swap than a full blown crossmember swap. It seems as though Rock Auto has upper and lower control arms for both sides with ball joints, inner and outer tie rod ends as well as the tie rod end adjusting sleeve. Figured I would just buy these components new and be good to go but would that even work and if so, what else would I need? Any help/insight would be greatly appreciated and I apologize if it’s a stupid question.

I also saw where CaptainFab mentioned the possibility of pressing the newer style ball joints into 63-66 control arms which I would imagine would make this conversion much easier. I could be the guinea pig on this to confirm whether it’s possible or not and report back with the results.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote