View Single Post
Old 09-07-2018, 02:13 PM   #7
Haggar

Re: 1971 Jimmy with 6.0 LQ4 / 4L65, 4" lift/33s.. basic family fun cruiser

Cooling system.. I tried to use the factory radiator, but it ended up having several small leaks. So I am using a modern replacement for the 4-core radiators.. this is a 2 core Aluminum with the plastic end tanks. But it's been fine with no leaks, and the truck runs rock solid at 190 degrees. I have a trans cooler in front of the radiator, and am using a Ford Windstar dual electric fan, which has a built in shroud that fits very well to the stock size radiator. I am using a 3 relay configuration, with low and high controlled by the stock ECM. I did have to add a wire to the ECM connector on the painless harness, but I was able to steal a pin from some unused emissions wiring for this purpose. The 3 relay config runs both fans in both low and high, but switches them from being in Series to being in Parallel. I am using some generic 40 amp relays from Amazon, no problems, and I keep spares, just in case.

I had a reducer for the upper hose laying around for year, its a Jags-that-run part, that converts from the smaller size LS upper hose to the larger old style hose. I just used a silverado 5.3 upper hose, and a stock Jimmy hose, cut them about at the middle of the radiator, and joined them with the JTR fitting. The steam line runs into a small pipe nipple in this fitting also. I removed the heater box, and just used one of the small formed U-bend hoses to bypass the heater. I forget the application for the lower hose, but its a Gates part, that I found the part number in one of the other builds on this site. It just needs to be shortened a little.

With this setup, we hit woodward cruise this year. I was nervous, as I always had cooling problems in my older Jeeps. The day was upper 80s, I'm sure over 100 degrees at street level in the sunlight. With 3 hours of mostly creeping at idle, the engine never got over 194, and the trans never got above the 160s, so I am very happy with the cooling system.
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote