Thread: The Brown Truck
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2011, 11:15 AM   #79
SFTorange

Re: The Brown Truck

Thanks Tony,

I'll have to take a couple of pics of the crossmember I moved. Long ago, I pulled out the spare tire crossmember. The one I moved is the very rear crossmember on the frame. I ground down the rivets on one side and simply pushed it back about 1/2" and bolted it up with grade 8 bolts to get the tank to fit. The second crossmember from the rear installed at an angle, which caused the tank to hit the rear crossmember.

Dave Boyd doesn't really do much work specifically with these trucks. He custom built the 67-72 tank for someone, and they liked it so much that he decided to start producing them for sale. When I asked if they would fit the '60-66, he said that he didn't know. I looked at the measurements, and they were almost exactly what I needed.

He doesn't charge that much more to custom build a tank to your specs either, so that may be a good option for some folks. The jury is still out on whether I can get my side fill to work correctly. I had trouble in the past with the Blazer tank I had getting it to fill quickly. The problem is that there is a really long horizontal run that the gas has to travel down. It was not draining properly, and took forever to fill before. I hope that the way I set this one up is better. If you aren't worried about having the filler in the bed, I think I would recommend going that route for ease of use.
SFTorange is offline   Reply With Quote