Thread: Berthas Build
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2019, 11:21 PM   #99
dfairchild19

Re: Berthas Build

December 2018 - With the headlight wiring update and them running through the relays in my custom electrical panel, it was definitely installed and in the truck for a bit(since about Semptember apparently), but I couldnt nail down a good way to mount it because of the contour of the inner fender until I finally bit the bullet and just threw some wild dimensions and guesses into CAD, cut the bracket, bent up the tabs, tapped the holes in the those tabs, and threw it in. I pretty much nailed it on the first try as well. I threw some paint on it and got it installed.

Ive learned that sometimes it just takes the activity of actually jumping in and doing something without knowing how or what youre doing to get it done and more often than not, it will turn out just fine. Ive gotten myself caught up in overthinking too many parts of the build when all it would take is jumping in head first and going after it to come up with a solution that works just as well, if not better, than if I had over analyzed the situation. Over thinking really is a sickness Im convinced......

While Im on the topic of mounting the wiring panel, Ill throw in the power distribution block........

And the battery connections all wrapped up.

I do still need to figure out what in the system needs protection. My custom panel has a 120A circuit breaker at the main power for the panel. I dont have anything on the charge cable for the alternator to the battery(which I would imagine would be the most important source to protect) or any other cables feeding power to anything else. Ill do some research and try to figure out what power sources Ill need to protect from overloading. Most of the cables are 2 gauge or heavier and Im not sure they even make fusible links big enough for them. I really dont completely understand what to match them to to begin with though. Ive ready a rule of thumb to use is to go two sizes smaller for the fusible link than the cable you are wanting to protect but as I mentioned, Im pretty sure that Ive read that no one makes them bigger than 8 gauge and even they are fairly uncommon? Are Maxi fuses ok to use in place of fusible links? Do I have any other options?
dfairchild19 is offline   Reply With Quote