Thread: Detroit locker
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2018, 01:29 PM   #34
Jeepwm69

Re: Detroit locker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech View Post
Not true, the detroit locker is not a complete unit in the 14 bolt where-as the tru-trac is. You use the existing carrier and take apart the halves, remove the spider gear assy and put in the locking assy. Bolt it back together with the ring gear and remove the holding bolt.
Well I'll be.....

Had to look into that a bit as I've only done Dana/Spicer Jeep axles.

Looks like the 14 bolt carrier is heavy enough to reuse so the Detroit is just a heavy lunchbox style for that axle.

Learned something new.

As for on the street use, I'd still go with the Truetrac.

I have a Truetrac in the rear of my green Jeep. Invisible on the street, and unless you have a wheel in the air it performs just like a locker.

I have lockrights front and rear on my tan Jeep. They rachet and bang occasionally going around corners, but if you stay off the gas in a turn they usually don't make much noise. They do NOT like it if you have even a couple of PSI difference between the two tires on the axle.

I have a Powertrax no-slip in the rear of my other tan Jeep. It's about the same as the lock-right, just doesn't make the noises.

I would 100% go with the truetrac for a street driven truck. Buy once, cry once.
Jeepwm69 is offline   Reply With Quote