View Single Post
Old 01-09-2015, 06:35 PM   #12
Viperject

Re: Completed auto to NV4500 swap - 86 C20 Suburban

Any updates on this truck? Any problems/failures resulting from the swap and its assortment of parts?

I would like to put an NV4500 behind a 6.2L diesel in a 3/4-ton 2WD Suburban and this write-up will be extremely helpful. I don't know enough about transmissions to attempt a rebuild myself and I don't trust the used parts I find on craigslist/eBay, so I'm considering one of these:

http://nv4500transmission.com/

These guys apparently do some custom building specific to your intended application, so that may help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal30_sniper View Post
-Bolt-in Trans tunnel out of 2wd, auto squarebody ($50, Ebay)
I assume you mean the tunnel from a 4WD auto squarebody, correct?

I think I have seen NV4500 conversions that did not involve the use of a larger/taller trans tunnel. I assume, then, that a body lift was used instead. How much of a lift do you think would be necessary if that route is taken?

Did you retain the auto-shift steering column and indicators? When I perform the swap, I intend to purchase a 4-speed C20 donor truck. There always seems to be at least one local, non-running example available for $1000 or less, often equipped with the 6.2L. It may cost more initially to start with an entire donor vehicle rather than assemble the individual parts, but I think it would make the entire process much easier/faster (plus I may be able to sell the leftovers post-conversion).
Viperject is offline   Reply With Quote