View Single Post
Old 05-05-2013, 01:04 AM   #21
argonaut

Re: Ignition Switch Question

I managed to initially stump the guy at Truck Shop this morning. But he looked in his book from his switch vendor and found me a switch: 61-63 impala switch. I also examined the 67-72 switch, but didn't buy this switch. My notes are below.

60-66 Pickup Switch
LOCK - OFF - IGN - START
We all know how this works: Power to the ACC pin is cut when turned to the START position, but there is no key position that applies power to only the ACC pin.
- The aftermarket case is slightly different than the original switch. It is threaded further down and uses a 'stop' ring thread on to adjust how far it sticks through the dash. I believe this same switch housing is used for multiple different applications.

67-72 Pickup Switch
ACC - LOCK/OFF - IGN - START
- Case mount to the dash the same as the original 60-66 switch and accepts the 60-66 bezel. This switch case is actually identical to the original 60-66 where it mounts to the dash.
- Lock cylinder is different than the 60-66 where it engages the switch, but has a smooth face so looks externally like a 60-66. Must buy a 67-72 lock cylinder.
- Wiring connector is different. Must buy the 67-72 pigtail, de-pin your stock connector and re-pin the new one with your wires.
- If you like the stock flush look then I personally think that this is the best route to go.

61-63 Impala Switch
ACC - LOCK - OFF - IGN - START
- Mounts to the dash like a 60-66 pickup switch and accepts the bezel.
- Lock cylinder is the same as the pickup version where it engages the switch, but it has a chromed, protruding top. however you can use your pickup lock cylinder in this switch
- wiring connector is the same as the 60-66 pickup.
- I am planning to use this switch because I like to look of the impala lock cylinder
- The switch comes with a little light bulb housing that shines into a slot in the side of the switch housing and illuminates the inside of the lock cylinder when in the off positions. However the bulb housing hits the back of the gauge housing when you try to install it. I will probably cut up a cigarette lighter housing, and use the more compact bulb housing to try to get this to fit.

Photos of the switches I have at home:
60-66 Pickup Aftermarket --- 61-61 Impala Aftermarket --- 60-66 Pickup Original

1972 K5 Blazer CST, Turquoise
1966 K20 Short Fleet Pickup, Big Ugly
1964 C10 Short Fleet, Gertrude

2001 Porsche 911 Carrera
1996 Ford Bronco XLT
1980 Jeep Wagoneer

2008 Honda CBR1000RR
2005 Honda RC51
1981 Honda CB750C

No dis-assemble Johnny Five! No dis-assemble!

Last edited by argonaut; 05-05-2013 at 01:42 AM.
argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote