Thread: Blasting media
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2018, 09:29 AM   #17
roger55

Re: Blasting media

I agree. Blasting is the only way to get it all clean.
It's just not necessary to blast outer panels that can be stripped and cleaned with a D/A or stripping disc.

This is me a couple of weeks ago blasting the perimeter of the hood on my current project:

The top side was stripped using a stripping disc as was most of the car. When I use a stripping disc, I still follow up with a D/A and 80 grit to get the right profile before epoxy primer. Both 80 grit on a D/A and the finish after blasting leave a profile epoxy primer needs.

Here's my current project just finished with the stipping disc:

And here it is after the follow up with the D/A:

I used the stipping disc inside the bed the best I could get and then blasted to finish it up:

Btw, these are the tools I use for stipping:

I buy those stripping discs online in a box of 10.

My blaster is an old HF model. Only mod I made was to remove the lever and stopper and added a 1/4 ball valve behind.

I reclaim my media, and screen it before putting back in. I screen the fresh media too. I usually add about 25% new media to the reclaimed when loading the blaster.

I think to blast everything I needed to blast on my pickup including the frame, I used 7 or 8 bags of $8 per bag Black Diamond. Very cheap. As far as those stripping discs, with care by not using the edges much, a box of 10 should strip an entire vehicle. I get them from Roark Supply. They have the best price.

So yes, I can do this on the cheap. The labor isn't too bad but I won't blast in the Texas summer heat so I schedule my projects as not to need to do that.
The key is have the space to do it and a large enough air compressor to run a blaster.
roger55 is offline   Reply With Quote